FreePCB is a free, open-source PCB editor for Microsoft Windows, released under the GNU General Public License. It was designed to be easy to learn and easy to use, yet capable of professional-quality work. It does not have a built-in autorouter, but it can use the FreeRoute web-based autorouter at www.freerouting.net. Some of its features are:
- 1 to 16 copper layers
- Board size up to 60 inches by 60 inches
- Uses English or metric units (i.e. mils or mm) for most functions.
- Footprint libraries courtesy of Ivex Design International, PCB Matrix and the IPC.
- Copper fill areas
- Footprint Wizard and Footprint Editor for creating or modifying footprints
- Imports and exports PADS-PCB netlists
- Exports extended Gerber files (RS274X) and Excellon drill files
- Design rule checker
The layout for a small PCB is shown in the screenshot below.